This may not be the most commonly known holiday, but it can be a great reminder to consider the culture at your workplace and the benefits of ensuring that employees are enjoying (at least part) of their work day.
Why including fun at work is important:
- It can stimulate creativity
- It can relieve or reduce stress
- It can increase productivity
- It can be a retention tool
- It can improves employee morale, engagement, and teamwork
Concerns employers may have:
- Fun doesn't belong in a "serious" workplace
- Customers may be turned off seeing your employees having too much fun
- Employees will take advantage of the time away from their regular duties
Tips for HR managers and employers:
Ensure that the nature of the "fun" is tasteful and appropriate for your workplace. Remember that what's fun for one person is not necessarily so for another. The fun activity should never be at the expense of an employee or customer.
- Organize fun events, like a monthly celebration of employee birthdays or a special costume day, with specific start and end times, rather than having several random activities happening sporadically
- Encourage employees to come up with ideas that resonate with them and involve them in the implementation
- Incorporate contests and incentives to make everyday tasks more enjoyable, such as a team pizza party for meeting a particular quota or achievement
- Photograph or take videos of special events so that you can share them on your social media sites (to demonstrate your corporate culture to prospective applicants) or create a photo album for team members to share
How we have fun at Clear Path:
- We view life as a journey to be enjoyed and appreciated.
- We create an atmosphere of fun and happiness so all around us enjoy it as well.
- We believe that what is fun gets done.
- We enjoy spending time with our teammates and customers.
- We celebrate and reward our successes.
- We value humour, but never at the expense of another.
Putting this value into practice, we enjoy several special events throughout the year, including a Tubing Night, a team lunch each month with a different theme (Oktoberfest, Winter, Summer BBQ), participating in charity events like the Terry Fox Run, and celebrating birthdays and successes at our monthly team meeting.